Gabby is an Intern in Counseling pursuing his M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Old Dominion University. He received his M.A. in Secondary Education with a focus on history along with his B.A. in History from the College of William and Mary. His deep desire to help others drew him to the field and he believes counseling gives everyone a chance to create desired changes to fulfil their potential.
Clinical Focus Areas and Counseling Approaches
Gabby provides both online and in person counseling at Free Spirit. He works with individuals aged 15 and up, along with couples. Gabby works with clients seeking support for an array of issues, including anxiety, depression, grief/loss, stress reduction, self-esteem building, motivation enhancement, and healthy lifestyle design. He emphasizes the use of person-centered therapy, existential theory, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and tailors other techniques to his client’s specific concerns and needs.
From Gabby’s perspective: “I truly believe an honest, trusting, respectful, and collaborative relationship between the client and counselor is key to the therapeutic process. I help my clients experience being heard and respected, while leaving with a feeling of empowerment. My goal is to help my clients explore opportunities for positive change that lead to a tangible increase in overall well-being.”
Prior to pursuing a career in counseling, Gabby served as teacher for four years. His two years at a Montessori School broadened both his skills and perspective, working with a wide variety of learning styles in customized ways. His two years teaching seventh grade history in a Title One school helped him make meaningful and lasting connections with students. This ultimately led to his desire to serve his community in a new capacity through the pursuit of a career in professional counseling.
Fun Facts About Gabby
- Gabby enjoys reading, learning about and being fascinated by a wide variety of topics (especially human history and human nature), and hearing others share their unique stories and interests.
- He also is very close with his family, greatly values connection and works intentionally on keeping a positive and grateful mindset!
- Plus, from a young age, he has loved playing and watching all things sports.
- His favorite colors are medium blue and forest green.
- His favorite music artists include Bob Dylan, Nirvana, and Kendrick Lamar.
- The background you see in Gabby’s photo is from our office “The Shore” here at Free Spirit.