Heather is completing her practicum in counseling and pursuing her M.Ed. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling – Military and Veterans from William and Mary. She earned a B.S. in Psychological Science from Gardner-Webb University and an A.A. in Fine Arts from the College of the Albemarle. She is passionate about creating a safe space for people to grow and become the best versions of themselves.
Clinical Focus Areas and Counseling Approach
Heather provides in person counseling for individuals aged 18 and up. She helps clients seeking support for life transitions, career and life path exploration, healthy relationship building, self-confidence, military life, stress, ADD/ADHD, anxiety, and depression. She customizes her approach to each unique client while using a foundation of Cognitive-Behavioral therapy (CBT) and Acceptance-Commitment therapy (ACT).
According to Heather: “Creating a safe space for people to share their personal stories is very important to me. I believe counseling is much like going on a walk where you lead, and I will help support and empower along the way. I am passionate about helping you to work through hard times and to discover and embrace the best version of yourself throughout the process.”
Heather served as a volunteer with the Crisis Text Line, providing support to those in need or in crisis. Additionally, she worked in administration, data analysis, and public relations in the manufacturing industry in a cross-cultural setting. She brings a keen ability to work with diverse people, creative analytic skills, and a focus on attention to detail from these experiences into her work with clients today.
Fun Facts About Heather
- Heather really enjoys spending quality time with her large, blended family.
- She loves crocheting/knitting, coloring, reading, dancing, baking, roller skating, and bike riding.
- Her favorite colors are red and dark greens.
- Her current favorite music performers include: Stephen Sanchez, Chris Isaak, David Kushner, Ella Langley, Cody Johnson, ACDC, and Metallica.
- The background you see in Heather’s photo is from our office “The Shore” here at Free Spirit.