Melissa is a Licensed Professional Counselor in Virginia. She also currently serves as a school counselor at a local high school.
Clinical Focus Areas and Counseling Approaches
Melissa works online and in-person with individuals from age 12 and up, as well as families. She assists clients with Behavioral Issues, Life Transitions, Learning Disabilities, Intellectual Disabilities, Peer Relationships, Parenting, Pregnancy/Post-partum, Anxiety, Depression, Career Counseling, School-related concern, Self-Esteem, Family Conflict, and College Transition. She utilizes Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Solution-Focused Therapy blended with other styles to support clients with their healing process.
Melissa earned her M.A. in both Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling programs at Regent University in Virginia Beach. She received her B.S. in Psychology from Regent University.
Prior to her school placement, Melissa worked on completing residency hours in a private practice setting. She conducted individual counseling and helped administer educational and psychological testing and diagnostics. Prior to working in the high school environment, she also worked in alternative and middle school settings.
Fun Facts about Melissa
- Melissa loves spending time with her husband and her three sons.
- She enjoys the excitement of sitting on the sidelines and cheering on her favorite players.
- When the weather allows, she also enjoys the calm of the local waters or sitting by a fire.
- Her favorite color is green.
- Her favorite music group is The Temptations.
- The background you see in Melissa’s photo is from our office “The Lagoon” here at Free Spirit.
**SPECIAL NOTE on Insurance – Melissa is in network with Optum/UBH/UHS, Anthem BCBS, and Carelon Behavioral Health. She is out -of-network approved (aka “certified”) for Tricare, allowing her to serve retired service members, reservists, and Active Duty family members (with an authorization from their PCM). She is still processing with Aetna, Cigna/Evernorth, and Optima at this time.