Mike is a Licensed Professional Counselor and a registered Clinical Supervisor for interns and residents pursuing licensure in Virginia. He has been working in the field of mental health, in a wide variety of settings, for nearly 30 years. He remains committed to personal growth and development and his own journey informs the work that he does with others.
Mike works online with individuals ages 16 and up, couples, and families. He offers a variety of skills and strategies for managing life stress & transitions, military life, veteran support, anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, trauma/survivors of abuse, borderline personality disorder, and substance abuse recovery. His extensive group experience includes working in 12-step and other recovery models, along with leading a Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) skills training program for over 10 years.
Mike has established a strong foundation in the principles and skills associated with Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). He also relies on strategies promoted by Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), and Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). He is experienced in trauma informed work with a wide variety of populations including veterans and survivors of sexual abuse.
In Mike’s own words: “I have a particular interest in mindfulness-based approaches to psychotherapy. I strongly feel that personal change begins with paying particular attention to this moment and enhancing present-centered awareness. In keeping with DBT philosophy, I help my clients pursue balance in their lives, primarily that between acceptance and change.”
Mike began his work in the mental health field as a residential counselor at an inpatient treatment facility working with a difficult adolescent population. He spent several years providing home based therapeutic services through a non-profit community agency, has worked for a hospital and in therapeutic foster care. He received his license as a professional counselor in 1999 and is also a registered Clinical Supervisor in Virginia. He served as a program director with two different agencies and has led groups in anger management, substance abuse, and DBT skills training.
Mike completed his Bachelor’s degree in Psychology at Norfolk State University, graduating Summa Cum Laude. He earned his Master’s degree in Mental Health Counseling at Old Dominion University. He has additional education and training in Substance Abuse Counseling, Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), and Clinical Supervision.
Fun Facts About Mike
- Mike is passionate about spending time with my family and companion animals (a dog and two cats presently), mindfulness practices, and riding my bicycle and motorcycle.
- He also loves camping and attending ODU football games.
- He spent 15 years in early adulthood working as an offshore commercial fisherman, scalloping on George’s Banks off of New England and visiting a variety of fishing ports along the East Coast.
- His favorite colors are shades of greenish blue.
- His favorite music is early alternative and contemporary alternative rock, including artists like U2, Elvis Costello, The Cure, and REM.
- The background you see in Mike’s photo is from our office “The Forest” here at Free Spirit.