Nancy is a Licensed Resident in Counseling in Virginia, a Nationally Board-Certified Counselor (NCC), and a Licensed Associate Counselor (LAC) in New Jersey. Using a collaborative and kind approach, she is passionate about helping you empower your voice and unique strengths to create truly inspired life changes.
Clinical Focus Areas
Nancy currently works online with individuals aged 5 and up, couples, and families. She has an especially deep passion for working with senior citizens and with children experiencing separation/divorce, military deployment in their family and/or blended family dynamics. She also supports clients in areas including but not limited to depression, anxiety, eating disorders, communication strategies, behavioral issues, substance abuse/co-occurring disorders, divorce/separation, family/relationship issues, life transitions, parenting, self-esteem, spirituality, stress, trauma/PTSD, and obsessive-compulsive disorders.
Nancy’s approach in counseling sessions combines elements of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Solution-Focused Therapy, Family Systems, Person-Centered, Positive Psychology, Mindfulness Techniques, Story-Telling, and Play Therapy in her work with her clients. Additionally, she can provide Christian Counseling upon request.
According to Nancy, “I believe in developing collaborative, supportive client-counselor relationships. As a client, you are in the driver’s seat of this often difficult but ultimately rewarding journey. My role is like that of a navigator – to help you travel along your path and accomplish your goals. My clients all have voices and stories to tell. I want to help you find your voice, tell your stories, uncover your strengths, discover better coping skills, and feel empowered to change your life for the better.”
Nancy earned a Masters of the Arts in Education (M.A.Ed.) in Counselor Education/Community Counseling from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University aka Virginia Tech. She received her B.A. in English/Creative Writing from Mount Holyoke College. She continues her ongoing professional training under direct clinical supervision from Free Spirit owner and Clinical Director, Dr. Jill Nardin, PhD, LPC.
Nancy brings over 15 years of experience in the mental health field, working with a variety of populations, cultures, and ages. She provided counseling across a variety of sites, including in-home programs, a residential treatment center (children through adults), therapeutic day treatment in elementary school, and on-site employee assistance programs in the business industry. Nancy currently serves as a Mental Health Counselor with the Virginia Medical Reserve Corps.
She possesses diverse experiences in her professional background connecting into her style as a therapist. Nancy served the Department of Family Services, assisted families with receiving heating and cooling assistance, TANF, child care, and other benefits. She previously served as a senior tax examiner in the New Jersey Department of Labor, earning a reputation as the “kindest” tax examiner. She also worked in Nielsen Ratings assisting over 100 families and sparking her love of family work.
Fun Facts About Nancy
- Nancy lives in the very northwest of Virginia in the mountains at a spring-fed lake and loves cuddling with her two cats, reading mysteries, and listening to music.
- She really loves many outdoor activities including hiking, camping, kayaking, sailing, spending time at the New Jersey shore & long-distance swimming. She’s always the first braving the chilly temperatures in the water – usually in late May – and the last one out of the lake – mid November!
- She played sports in high school and college, including competitive college swimming and dressage with horses for many years. She still enjoys watching football, baseball, softball, amongst other sports.
- Her favorite colors are sapphire blue and rose.
- Her favorite music performers are Casting Crowns, the Pentatonics, Anita Baker and anything Jazz!
- The background you see in Nancy’s photo is from our office “The Dawn” here at Free Spirit.
As a Licensed Resident in Counseling, Nancy is in-network with Cigna/Evernorth commercial insurance and 4 Medicaid Plans: Anthem Healthkeepers +, Optima Family/Community Care, Optum Community Plan, and Virginia Premier. She is also able to see other non-Medicaid clients for a sliding scale, negotiable fee.